Introducing Nick Bowker, your African Hunting Outfitter
Complete your lifetime dream of Hunting Safari in Africa; it’s far more affordable than you might think. So start researching your free-range African Hunting Safari here.
Fair Chase and Free Range African Hunting. We specialize in Plains Game hunting for First Time African Hunters as well as Repeat African Hunters.
Nick Bowker Biography
- Owner Nick Bowker Hunting.
- Passionate Hunter and Outdoorsman as well as full-time Rancher.
- Registered Outfitter and Professional Hunter (guide) for more than 25 years.
- Specialize in reasonably priced free range plains game hunting.
We practice Fair Chase and Free Range African hunting. Start researching your Africa Hunting Safari.
Complete your Life Time dream of a Hunting Safari in Africa.
About Nick Bowker Hunting
Children are welcome. I would be delighted to guide any children on an African Safari. Both my daughters pictured below started hunting from an early age.
- I am a small personalized African hunting outfitter in the Eastern Cape midlands in Bedford, South Africa, and have been a professional hunter and outfitter for 25 years.
- My family has been living in the area for five generations, and hunting is in our blood.
- I have been conducting fair chase hunting in the Bedford area my entire life and am familiar with every single corner of our hunting concessions.
- Your Hunt will be a fair chase in a free-range African hunting environment, and I do not hunt behind high fences. However, for a few specific species, this will be required.
- The Eastern Cape is one of the safest areas to hunt in Africa. I have never had a security incident of any kind throughout my career as a professional hunter.
- I will be guiding you myself for your entire Africa Hunting Safari and will be with you from when I pick you up to when I drop you off at the Port Elizabeth airport.
- First Time African Hunters are welcome. I will be with you through every step of your journey on your African Safari.
Our Hunting concessions
- Your hunting concession extends throughout the Bedford area, and you will not see another hunter during your hunting trip.
- The core hunting area is 80 thousand acres with access to the adjacent Bedford area, which is around 500 thousand acres.
- The lodge is situated in the middle of my hunting concessions. As a result, there will be no need to drive long distances before you start hunting.
- South Africa has become the premier hunting destination in the world. It offers first world-class infrastructure and hospitality. The diversity of available trophies and the cost of a hunting Safari are not comparable anywhere else in the world.
- Bedford area has a unique topography and offers over 30 species of African Big Game and Plains Game.
- I offer unique, highly competitive Rates and Packages. My packages are All-Inclusive, and there are no hidden costs from when I pick you up to when I drop you off at the Port Elizabeth airport.
We specialize in Affordable Plains Game hunting and First Time African Hunters.
The cost of Trophy hunting in Africa
Structure your hunting in Africa to fit a budget
- Alternative 1:
- Clients select animals and pay the trophy fee for each animal. Also, there is a day rate irrespective of any trophy shot.
- Alternative 2:
- Hunters can select a package of animals offered by the outfitter at a fixed price, including the day fee and accommodation and meals.
Consider a starter package at a fixed price of $4000
- We offer a wide selection of all-inclusive African Hunting Packages.
- My first-time African hunter package starts at $4000 and includes seven trophies.
- We also offer Cull Packages in addition to trophy hunting.
- Cull animals that comprise mature animals that don’t qualify as trophy animals can be added to trophy packages.
- I offer Blesbok, Impala, Warthog, Springbok, and Mountain Reedbuck cull males at $250 each and females at $100 each.
Quality and Quantity of trophies
- To keep high-quality Trophies, I limit the number of Africa hunting safari parties to ten per year.
- The sheer number of animals will astound you. As a result, you will see more animals in one day than you will see in 10 years in the United States.
- For the cost of an elk hunt, you can shoot seven African Trophies. See what my clients say – Client Recommendations.
Rifles included free of charge
- I have the latest 4×4 Hunting vehicles at my disposal, capable of any terrain.
- Expert trackers who have hunted with me my whole life will help us with the guiding.
- The cost and red tape of traveling with rifles have increased dramatically over the last few years. As a result, I now offer my rifles and ammunition for free use for all my clients.
- I have available a Sako carbon light 300 Winchester Magnum fitted with a suppressor.
- I also have available a 7mm custom made Remington Magnum fitted with a suppressor. Mounted on both rifles are Swarovski tactical scopes.
What does a typical day hunting in Africa involve?
- Up at dawn for a cup of coffee and a snack.
- Set off to our hunting area for the targeted species.
- All hunting areas are with in half an hours drive.
- Generally, we will target the brush dwelling animals such as the spiral horns in the very early mornings and late evenings when they come out to graze.
- We would target Plains Game animals during the day as they are easier to find.
- Many hours are spent glassing animals before mounting a stalk on a selected quarry, so a high-quality pair of binoculars is a must.
- Typically, we find an elevated position and glass the surrounding valleys in search of a Trophy.
- We would then set up a plan and begin our stalk.
- Alternatively, we may try and set up an ambush.
- Generally, return for a big brunch around 11h30.
- Sometimes we will take packed lunch and are gone for the whole day.
- Out again in the afternoon for more hunting.
- Dinner around a fire, discussing the days hunting and making plans for the next day.
I offer Authentic African
Free Range Hunting
I conduct my Hunting in a Free Range environment with no high fences
Olivefountain Lodge sits on an escarpment (2200 feet above sea level) and has four unique biospheres within half an hour’s drive. This unique change in biospheres results in broad animal diversity.
To the south of the lodge is the deep valley bushveld. These deep, broad valleys with thick riverine bush are the home of the Eastern Cape Kudu and Bushbuck, Nyala, Warthog, and Bushpig.
The sides of the valleys and canyons make for great vantage points. We spend a lot of time at these elevated points, glassing for trophies.
At the plateau’s start above the valley, bushveld lies savanna and woodlands in amongst small plateaus.
The unique topography provides one of the finest hunting areas in the world.
Nothing beats a day of free-range African hunting and doing long stalks and trying to outwit your quarry. Plateaus also make great vantage points for glassing and the star of many long stalks.
The savanna gradually gives way to the long rolling Bedford plains. These grass plains were once the place of vast animal migrations across the Eastern Cape.
These plains are where Springbok, Blesbok, and Black Wildebeest are to be found. Consequently, the plains game often needs to be ambushed, and the endless anthills found out on these plains make for the right hiding place.
Free-Range Hunting in South Africa
Free Range African Hunting versus Free Roaming
A lot has been written about Free Range Hunting and Fair Chase Hunting. Free Range Hunting can be defined as kept in natural conditions, with freedom of movement. Also, no human-made barrier prevents the animal’s movement.
Another concept is “Free-Roaming” in South Africa because the animals are born, bred, live, and die on the property.
Wilderness Hunting in Africa
If you are looking for a true wildness hunt, you will need to hunt in Mozambique, Zimbabwe, and Tanzania. In these areas, you will be hunting without any fences or human-made obstacles, such as public roads.
This remoteness comes at a cost with expensive day fees been mandatory as well as extra time and cost to get to these wilderness areas. In particular, these costs come before you have even seen an animal. For many, the cost and time are prohibitive.
South African hunting areas that are not high fenced
These areas do not have high fences but rather four-foot barbed wire fences designed to stop sheep and cattle movement. Consequently, the vast majority of animals can move and roam at will. Certain animals will be held in check, such as Wildebeest.
These non-high fenced areas belong to the local farming community. Outfitters who hunt exclusively in these areas are often farmers and have dual income from farming and outfitting.
You will struggle to find a property in South Africa or Namibia with no fences somewhere along the line, be it a park border, a high fence on a neighboring property, or a barrier to public roads.
South African hunting areas that are high fenced
The majority of hunting in South Africa is conducted behind high fences. The size of the high fenced areas varies greatly. The high fencing is often a necessity for Outfitters from an economic perspective. For these typically larger high fenced outfitters, outfitting is often their only source of income. Generally, the concept of free-roaming and fair chase hunting applies to high fenced outfitters.
These larger high fenced outfitters need to replenished trophies as a result of hunting and genetics. As a result, South Africa is the most affordable hunting destination in the world. No-where else can you hunt so many species at a cost that was not dreamed about two or three decades ago.
Long-range hunting Safari in Africa
I also offer long-range hunting for enthusiasts. Bedford provides an ideal terrain for long-range hunting with broad valleys and plains. I limit our distances to approximately 650 meters.
I target Impala, Springbok, Blesbok, Mountain Reedbuck, and Warthog for long-range hunting. Our standard rate is $250 for males and $100 for females for non-trophy animals for the above target list.
Long-range hunting provides the chance for hunters to truly test their shooting and hunting skills and the opportunity for making a significant amount of shots during a day hunting. There are few places in the world with similar diversity and such numbers of wild animals available at these prices.
I am also a long-range hunting enthusiast with significant experience with tactical scopes and handloading ammunition. I have tactical and digital Swarovski scopes available for use. Also, I offer driven hunts for the species mentioned above under the same conditions.
Free-Range Hunting can be defined as kept in natural conditions, with freedom of movement. Free-Range South African hunting areas have four-foot barbed wire fences designed to stop sheep and cattle movement but not wild animals.