Fallow Deer hunting is widespread in the Eastern Cape, in particular in the Bedford region. Most fallow deer are shot while hunting other trophies. A fascinating animal to hunt primarily during the rut, when stags can be heard calling, and one can detect and stalk stags by the sound of crashing antlers.
Most Fallow Deer are shot opportunistically while hunting the traditional African trophies. A Fallow Deer trophy will cost around $900.
- These deer are mostly from the Mediterranean regions of southern Europe. Because of hundreds of years of transporting and selling, their exact origins are unknown.
- Because of the ease of transportation, they are the most widespread exotic deer in the world.
- Fallow deer have a very pronounced Adam’s apple. If you can spot the adam’s apple, it’s most likely a fallow deer!
- There are three color variations of fallow; white, tan with white spots, and brownish almost to the point of being black. You’ll often see spots on a light brown coat, but the coloration is highly varied.
- Up to 14 variations occur from white through shades of red-brown to dark brown, and some have spotted markings.
- The color fallow deer are born will be the color they retain for life.
- They have a decent sense of smell and hearing but an excellent vision.
- Fallow deer are friendly and compatible with other species, except for the rutting males.
- Fallow deer have a history with George Washington. He was one of the earliest raisers of “English Deer.”
- Bucks do not eat during the rutting season.
- Fallow Deer hunting is widespread in the Eastern Cape South Africa.
The difference between a male and female fallow deer
Males or bucks are larger than females. Male fallow deer carry antlers while females do not
About the Fallow Deer
Adult bucks are 55 – 63 inches long, 33 – 40 inches in shoulder height, and typically 130 – 180 pounds in weight; does are 51–59 inches long, 30 – 33 inches in shoulder height, and 66 – 110 pounds in weight.
Fawns are born in spring. Their lifespan is around 12–16 years.
Agile and fast in case of danger, fallow deer can run at a maximum speed of 30 mph over short distances.
Fallow deer can also make jumps up to 5.8-foot-high and up to 17 feet in length.
They have six types of vocalizations:
- Barking, which is an explosive alarm call used by females;
- Bleating, which is produced by females during parturition or with their young;
- Mewing, given by any deer during submission postures;
- Peeping, produced by fawns in distress or contacting their mothers;
- Wailing, an intense distress sound by a fawn older than two days;
- Growling, produced by rutting males.
Fallow Deer Hunting in South Africa
Your fallow deer trophy should have an average shoulder height of around 36 inches and weigh about 140 pounds.
Fallow Deer from Europe were introduced to South Africa, in 1869 by the British.
Since then, numbers have increased dramatically, and many have been trans-located to various regions throughout South Africa.
A fascinating animal to hunt, especially during the rut, when stags can be heard calling, and one can detect and stalk stags by the sound of crashing antlers.
During the rut, the deer lose all fear of humans and become obsessed with mating – hunting during this time can be one of the most exciting hunts to be a part of.
The rut for fallow deer takes place from March – June, and hunters looking at hunting fallow deer in rut must be advised: the earlier in the rut, the better.
Stags lose their antlers towards the end of September into October, with regrowth starting almost immediately in Spring.
Fallow Deer are widespread in the Eastern Cape, in particular in the Bedford region.
Trophy Judgement and Rifle Caliber
Deer hunting in South Africa is similar to deer hunting in the united states – active during early morning and late afternoon hours.
Set up along game trails or near food plots and pastures where he is likely to be found grazing.
Your favorite deer rifle will be more than adequate in the taking of fallow deer.
For those hunters who do not wish to go through the red tape of bringing a rifle into South Africa, Nick Bowker has available a 7mm custom made Remington Magnum fitted with a suppressor.
The rifle is mounted with a Swarovski Z8 tactical scope. We have hand loaded Hornady ELD-X ammunition.
This set up including ammunition, is available as part of all hunting packages free of charge.
A medium-sized deer with more color variations than any other. Color ranges from white to chocolate brown/black.
Most are a rich brown with white spots; in Winter, the coat becomes much thicker and rougher, turning a darker color.
The underparts are lighter in color than white. Males have a prominent Adam’s apple.